The Golden Ratio and The Fibonacci Sequence
Understanding the wisdom of Sacred Geometry includes one number you probably have learned about, and one that you maybe aren’t as familiar with. The first is the number “PI,” better known as 3.14____. The other is the GOLDEN MEAN / Golden Ratio “PHI,” better known as 1.618___. Both are irrational numbers; basically, they are fractions/decimal point numbers that never end.. and GO ON FOR INFINITY.
- Pi = the RATIO of the CIRCUMFERENCE of a circle to it’s diameter. For those who did not enjoy math in this lifetime, the circumference is the measurement of the entire circle around it’s round part; the diameter is the distance straight across from one point of the circle to the other (think of it as the belt of the circle!).
- Phi = This Golden Ratio is a very special number, created by dividing a line into two parts so the longer part divided by the smaller part is also equal to the whole length.. divided by the longer part..(If you are not a mathematician, don’t worry, you can still understand Sacred Geometry).
Phi is a number that has astounded experts in many fields, for centuries..and quite possibly tens..HUNDREDS of thousands of years.
This pattern, along with it’s mathematical ratios and proportions, can also be found in harmonics, music, light, and especially in the eccentric beauty of the cosmos. This absolute calculation can even be found in what we consider “ancient” history.
Regardless, simple knowledge of these numbers are essential to moving forward into the obvious and lifelong FUN that is noticing Sacred Geometry in everything that crosses your path here on out. The following pieces of your everyday life especially demonstrate the GOLDEN MEAN:
- Proportions within the human body and animals
- Your very own DNA
- The Solar System
- Religious texts
- Ancient artifacts and architecture
When it comes to Sacred Geometry, there is a spiritual aspect we will discuss. But we must also remember that even the scientific community believes this phenomena proves a very logical outcome of nature’s internal and organic design. Coincidence? You know we don’t believe in those.. 😉
Next up: the Fibonacci Sequence.
Many people associate the Fibonacci Sequence with the movie, “The Da Vinci Code.” The Fibonacci Sequence basically provides an additional way to derive Phi mathematically. The series goes like this:
- Start with 0. Add 1 to get 1.
- Add the last number to the previous. 1=1 = 2
- Repeat the process of adding the last two numbers in the series to determine the next one..(1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+5=8, 8+5=13, 13+8=21, and so on..)
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987 … & the list goes on.
The interesting thing about the Fibonacci Sequence is this: the further you go in the series of numbers, the closer the result gets to “Phi.” For example:
- 5/3 = 1.666
- 13/8 = 1.625
We get it. Speaking in textbook terminology can cause more confusion than is necessary. Let’s give credit where credit is due. This video by Arthur Benjamin on Ted Talks is incredibly articulate and resonates on a frequency with those who may comprehend this phenomena stronger within a visual setting. It actually dives deep into an easy understanding of how magical this number sequence is. When you realize how many natural processes have an unquestionable foundation of this sequence.. you also realize how every thing our consciousness can perceive is INTERCONNECTED.
More to come…